In a unique partnership with St. Edward High School, Lakewood Catholic Academy will apply to become an IB Candidate School offering the Middle Years Programme in April 2015. This innovative and research-based approach to curriculum and instruction will be a guiding force behind our academic strategic plan.
What is the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme?
The MYP is designed for students aged 11 to 16. It provides a framework of learning that encourages students to become creative, critical and reflective thinkers. The MYP emphasizes intellectual challenge, encouraging students to make connections between their studies in traditional subjects and the real world. It fosters the development of skills for communication, intercultural understanding and global engagement – essential qualities for young people who are becoming global leaders.
The International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme:
- addresses holistically students’ intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being
- provides students opportunities to develop the knowledge, attitudes and skills they need in order to manage complexity and take responsible action for the future
- ensures breadth and depth of understanding through study in eight subject groups
- requires the study of at least two languages (language of instruction and additional language of choice) to support students in understanding their own cultures and those of others
- empowers students to participate in service within the community
- helps to prepare students for further education, the workplace
There will be information sessions in the spring of 2015 to explain more about this exciting partnership and instructional programme.